Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Confessions of a Yenta

Do you remember on "Fiddler on the Roof" when they all sing, "match maker, match maker, make me a match.." to the old Yenta? She happily tries to find them all matches and enjoys her work. And there is of course the famous line of "any husband is better than no husband!" and others.
I love to make matches! It is such a delightful thing to see two people enjoy one another. I pray and think and dream about the men my sisters might marry someday. I also try to have them meet some of my male friends on occasion! If I know a young man who might be interested I try to have them spend time together, invite them to the same events... among other devices. I believe that " a woman should marry as soon as she can do it to an advantage" -Austen.

However, I also believe that my friends could have any man they wanted... They simply have their pick out of an assortment of men from sourdoughs to soldiers! I have seen them turn them down and graciously look away from probing eyes.
They do not need a "Yenta".
My confession is thus: I have Yenta-ed too much as of late, with out permission or request. I am happy to see my sisters happy, that is all. I will continue to dream about their futures, but I will do my best to keep it in my head.
"only happy women are matchmakers." Montgomrey.
I am a happy woman today, but will be just as happy to watch lives unfold without my meddling. Sister C.

No comments:

Post a Comment